Saturday, June 29, 2013

Got To Love a Quiltalong

I love quiltalongs, and find them very hard to resist. I'd been admiring the pattern Impromptu, which is a pattern designed for layer cakes, for a while.  Then when I saw that Katy at I'm a Ginger Monkey was hosting an Impromtu quiltalong I ordered the pattern and signed up.  I've done quiltalongs with Katy before and they are always fun, and there is no pressure to stick to a time line.  Katy was one of the hosts of the Tripalong which I have been really enjoying.

I am a layer cake queen and so thought I would have no problems digging out a layer cake from my stash.  I was surprised to find that I am down to 3 layer cakes, and none of them really suited what I had in mind.  Determined to use some of my stash, I had a look at my bundle of Birds and the Bees by Tula Pink.  I love Tula's fabrics but I have to say I find them quite difficult to use with the rest of my stash.  So I made the decision pick out mostly the dark green and blue prints from this line.  They needed a lift so I added just three of the purple prints.  I wanted to use a deep colour for the background, and whilst I considered using a dark green I thought that would make the quilt too drab.  Spotlight had this lovely teal colour, and it was even reduced in price so I went for it!
 

It's a quilt that uses two different blocks to make the pattern.  I've made all the 'A' blocks, and since these pictures were taken (at night and inside so they are not brilliant photos) I've made more 'B' blocks.  I only have three to go!  I am very happy that I've kept up with the quiltalong - so far!

The blocks will hopefully look like they are floating on the teal fabric.  The 'B' blocks are disappearing 9 patches, which are sashed with 1" strips and this has been trying my sewing skills!  Any little wavy sewing really shows.  There has been much unpicking and resewing!  I'm hoping the finished quilt will be worth it.  It's very striking in colour, and I think it will look great on a bed.  The quiltalong is being held on Flickr and there are some lovely quilts in the photos there.  It's a friendly group and fun to be part of.


1 comment:

  1. It was great to see this quilt in the flesh, as that teal really works well and the blocks will float beautifully. I have posted you two units of your purple triangle quilt, that Judy found after our weekend away...hope you were not missing them!

    ReplyDelete